Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Great Expectations

I like the challenge of surprising people who underestimate me. Nothing gives me more pleasure than meeting and exceeding expectations of people especially those who have no faith in my potential to deliver.

My theory has not worked out very well for me in everyday life. Since I would like people to give me a chance I try to give others a fair chance. The other day I went for a haircut and when it was my turn at the hair salon I was greeted by the newest member of the salon staff. He must have been a 25 year old young intern or something and I didn't have the heart to turn him down and wait for the next person to cut my hair. Since I did not want to prejudice against his gender and age I let him cut my hair. I gave him enough direction and answered all his questions but the end result was my worse fears come true. Boy I should have resisted my urge!

Oft expectation fails, and most oft where most it promises; and oft it hits where hope is coldest; and despair most sits.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)
Colleagues and friends have let me down often enough for me to question my ability to expect. To expect or not to expect that is the question! Shakespeare seemed to agree with me on this topic that is to say that most people you expect from end up disappointing; its the underdog who always has the advantage. The underdog does not have a reputation so fewer people have great expectations off them.

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
Diana Spencer

Generally speaking we are all told not to expect. Not having expectations or lowering them certainly makes it easier to be content and happy but is that really practical? Not expecting anything in return for acts of kindness towards strangers or a social cause is plausible. However, not having any expectations from people that we love or cherish is totally impossible. Of course we all have heard that true love is unconditional. On a high level, our parents and family members do love us throughout life unconditionally but even the best parents do have expectations. I think it comes naturally to the animal race to expect. The measure of expectations might vary from little to great but I haven't figured out yet the answer to my question: To expect or not to expect?!

No comments: