Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Get A Life - I

Well whats been happenning with me ? Nothing much! Its not very difficult to fall into the monotonous rhythm of home-office-home day in and out, is it ? Its been just 2 months since I started working and I am already on the verge of being called a workaholic. I have been at work on several occasions past 8 pm and once I even had the absolutely hilarious fortune of getting locked in the office at 10:30 pm. That incident really jolted the blues out of me...New motto to be followed very seriously :: Get a Life!

Ala Upasana, so far the start has been pretty bad...Well if you've been in sunny San Diego for 2 months and haven't yet taken a dip in the ocean I would say pretty much your life sucks, thats to say my life sucks....In a genuine effort to revitalize my energetic self, the new game plan is to maintain a healthy work life balance....No more late nights at the office! More athletics, fun activities, exercise and yes no skipping meals either...

So once I decided it was high time to shake my lazy bones, which was about 2 days back..I still haven't gotten far....Friday was okay..A relaxed work day, an elongated pool session with colleagues, a good survey of the Pacific Beach area and to top of the day some great Mexican tacos and a superb Margarita! Not bad for starters at all...

Okay but Friday was Friday....Saturday morning got off to a late start...Gotta catch up on my beauty sleep on the weekends :) Did a very boring yet much delayed task of paying bills online..Done with that for a month....Then I tried to motivate myself a lot to head down to a sports bar where my co- Stan Alums were all piled up to root for the Cardinals in the 107th Big Game...But I guess it wasn't worth it...My gut feeling and lazy bones made the right decision...The Cardinals chickened out and the Bears now have their 3rd straight win over us in the Big Game since 2002...Really poor performance...But we may come back with a vengeance next year...

Anyways, the afternoon progressed smoothly as I guzzled on spicy Rasam, a South Indian recipe courtesy my roommate while we watched the much entrancing Entrapment....Wow Catherina Zeta Jones is one heck of a babe in this flick....Much to my surprise the Satur - day then went spiraling down towards a no lifer as I planned to catch the new Hugh Grant movie Bridget Jones II - The Edge of Reason...I must say I love Studio Canal and most British movies...They are definitely a bit different from the regular Hollywood movies...Much more original, earthy and a feel of more reality and less glamour....Love Actually, Sense & Sensibility, oh I love them all....Bridget Jones II was definitely not a disappointment but yes it was not as refreshing as the part I and yes Hugh Grant has much less footage...Also in an attempt to potray Bridget as a plumpy ageing spinster, the director has gone over board and at times Bridget just looks plain old and ugly..Hey I have nothing against fat women, in fact I am quite plump myself but c'mmon its a movie if not super beautiful let Rene look at least decently good...

If that wasn't enough, a friend of mine handed me a copy of the new Indo-British movie by Gurinder Chadha (of Bend it like Beckham fame)...The movie is adapted from Jane Austen's novel and is available in English as Bride & Prejudice and in Hindi as Balle Balle Amritsar to LA... And you won't believe that after getting back home from watching Bridget Jones, I decided what the heck lemme see this one too...I started with the Hindi version because you know the dialogues and jokes are at time more hilarious in the original language....Wo its funny and yes Martin Henderson is one handsome hunk as Will Darcy in the movie....Ms. World Aishwarya Rai looks sparky and thankfully not so much glamorous as the fiesty Lalita...All in all its a good movie but I wish the director would not have tried to pack in everything in one movie..Its too much you know....First she packed up the movie with some extraneous songs, then in a bad attempt to show crossing of cultures - the Indian Amritsar to the American LA ala Beverly Hills she packs in everything from elephants to Baywatch, an over dose of Indian dance and Mexican bands....

To my surprise, the English version of the movie is not only different in terms of the language but there are many scenes which are different or cut in the Hindi version....And if you think I am nuts to see the same movie twice on the same day..I most certainly am not!! I just checked that out in a jiffy you know some scenes here and there to catch a glimpse of adorable Martin Henderson and hear his real voice....

The movies Bridget Jones and Bride & Prejudice always remind me of the typical ups and downs of real life love stories and yes the colorful on screen marriages brought back some nostalgia..How many weddings of close friends and cousins back home in India have I already missed and will continue to in the near future as I live seven seas away in the US of A.... Its so sad to miss them, weddings are always fun especially if the one getting married is close to you...

ALL in ALL, what a life...a Movies Super Saturday, another weekend almost down the drain...One good deed of the day..yu hu I am hereby posting after ages on my blog..Better & hopefully sunny days are yet to come and Get A Life is still motto of the year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DEEPAK JESWAL HERE:

Hi, Upasana. I wandered in here from Ashtrix's blog. If u hv been following Ashtrix's blogs even half as closely as required ( he was been quite absent, that way!) you would sort of know me...( Yeah, i am the privileged blogger who met me in Delhi- to give an update, not once, but thrice now!)

As far as Balle Balle is concerned, I hate that movie! A review of the same is up on my blog as also that of Veer Zaara ( which I guess has become a bumper hit in USA ).

Would luv to see u there...(always craving for attention, u see!lol:))

And do keep writing regularly; will surely be back!

Warm regards
Deepak

http://randomexpressions.rediffblogs.com