Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Get a Life II

Alrighty, I haven't written anything since Sunday..Why is that ? Um I was super busy on Monday at work..Damn, half the office is on leave for the holidays...Tuesday I came in on time and was super anxious to relax and watch some TV and have a proper dinner...Okay Wednesday was a real easy day by means of work...Half the office had left early anywhere between 11 to 1 in the afternoon trying to get to their families for the impending Thanksgiving dinner today! I heard on the news that yesterday, Nov 25, 2004 was the biggest commuter day in the US since 9/11/2001....Airports, train stations and freeways were all packed thereby....

I spent most of the day on the phone haggling with super irritating customer service reps trying to get my menial chores which were pending since ever to be done with...Thereafter, for the first time I left the office at 4:30 and hopped from one to shop to another to check out the pre-Thanksgiving sales...Viola not many discounted rates were being offered but tomorrow 5:30 am to 12 noon will be the big boom time....Okay I really don't know who and why came up with this crazy idea of the day after Thanksgiving sales that too starting at 5:30 in the morning...C'mmon folks what is the hurry really ? Why not starting at 9 am ? If its a question of busting the doors and who gets there first we can all still shoot for 10 am why the need to get up so early...Well maybe 'coz thats so early for me and regular for most Americans....I know so many people who sleep at 10 every night and get up at 4:30 and get to work before 6 everyday for no specific reason...Companies don't demand that people be at work before 8 then why the hell this aversion to the very enchanting early morning sleep ?

Anyways, in the last 2 years I never had the need or determination to participate in this yearly post Thanksgiving sale...This year while I am setting up a home base and have recently acquired some purchasing power I might as well make use of this maddenning sales event! Well the prices are damn cheap sometimes going down by more than 50%..Last year a friend of mine went to Best Buy at 8 in the morning and he saw people stamping, running over each other to get the last best deals...My friend was able to buy a digital camera priced at 300 for $150..Awesome...Okay I have to be all guns ready to do this tomorrow....So tonight I need to research everything online and get the discount rates as published in the newspaper to know which shop to go in order to purchase what! But yo tomorrow is a working day, ya its sad but what can I say! Anyways, I could always shop from 6-9 and then head to work! Well I better get working to organize my shopping spree....

Last nite was such a drag....I got tired visiting all those stores to check out prices, then saw some TV and finally ended up watching Veer Zarra at midnight...Okay I went thru the movie fine but I can't really say that I liked it..Its too mushy mushy and stupid for my liking! An intelligent Air Force officer gets emotinal and decides to spend his entire life in the prison so that his girlfriend and her fiance live a peaceful life, this on the promise of a deceitful fiance in the first place..Its hard to digest that both the lovers get through their lives in total ignorance that the other person is alive and living a painful and secluded life for him/her....Why do directors make such movies ?

On that note, I recently saw a trailer of this new upcoming Robert De Niro movie "Hide & Seek" ...Its a horrifying and chilling tale of a man finding out that his 9 year old daughter has found a new way of dealing with her mother's death...She either has an imaginary friend Charlie or she herself is the very violent Charlie..I saw this spine chilling trailer last weekend when I went to see Bridget Jones Diary II and immediately I was thinking why do they make such movies ? What is the purpose ? Its not that I get frightened easily..I have seen a bunch of horror movies..My real concern is that how does this effect the society and our psyche....Especially the kids..Granted that this movie will definitely be rated adult but what about the young movie actors and actresses...Doesn't it affect them ? Why do writers write such scripts and parents allow their kids to star in such movies ? I wonder how I would've reacted? Being a 9 year old I would have been horrified going through painful make believe scenes about murder, rape, etc...Why give your a child such a wild and possibly hurtful experience ?

No wonder domestic violence is on the rise and its such horrifying tales of human drama that affect the kids, their parents and the whole society in some hidden way at some point in time....Why not make more happy movies ? Give people true entertainment...A reason to forget the problems in their lives and enjoy something for 2 hours...Alright now I am being opinionated to the point of no return....

Lemme get started on my big bang for the money shopping race tomorrow and wish you guys a very Happy Thanksgiving! This year I had no turkey and no family around me but I had a restful day and yes I am thankful to God for giving me so many reasons to be happy!

11 comments:

Deepak Jeswal said...

Hi...finally, we got a post! ( Thank Heavens!); but i am flummoxed-shopping at 6 am???????? I mean, u sure got the time right, no? I wudnt be caught going to a temple at that unearthly, devilish hour , leave alone go buy some stuff for me. Hats off to you (that is, in case u made it on time).

Are people in US crazy to wake up at 4:30? Or, is that their reason for success! But, i wud better be off the way i am ( and pay some extra bucks for goods ) than ever disturb moi darling sleep...and it's so cold here, that even if i per chance do wake up, nothing can get me out of my quilt!

But enough of that, coming back to ur post...u certainly hv a lovely flair for writing- making the most mundane thing as shopping quite an interesting activity!

Veer Zaara? Well, u hv read my reviews on it! I agree with u on the script front (as i said on the review also) but then, its got soooo much more to it!

Hide and Seek- reminds me of Madhoshi gone young. (Hv u seen that Bipasha Basu crap?) But i guess, the eng film will be better off in its technical details. But, agree cent per cent on ur views about the effect of such films of kids- viewers (we all know what an adult tag eventually means?) and the actors both included! Waise, hvnt written a proper horror story, lemme see if i can think of sth....


And all the best and hv fun for ur spree...hope u get great bargains to justify that bizarre time...brrrrr (already shivering thinking about it) !

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.