Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

On Bride & Prejudice & Gurinder Chadha

Disclaimer: This is more of an elongated comment to a post Balle Balle, Amritsar to LA (Bride and Prejudice) on Deepak's blog than an original post. For background, please read his post first !

While I have serious misgivings about Chadha's potrayal of modern India and Indian families in both her films - Bend it like Beckham & Bride & Prejudice, I think the new movie "Bride & Prejudice" does bring something to the table..It brings the very Indian Bollywood in the limelight and Miramax to Indian cinema in the future...Wudn't it be great if we could bring $$$$ and pounds to Bollywood from renowned production houses rather than the Dawood Ibrahims (an underworld don in India) of the world and churn out movies for the world audiences...Just like European hits like Amelie, My big fat greek wedding, Run Lola Run, etc. the global movie-goer would be able to enjoy desi hits like Golmaal, Lagaan, Dil Chahta Hai, Company, Hera Pheri and what not!

I seriously think that in any business venture a wrong direction is better than no direction..Hence, while Chadha has faltered on many aspects there are some angles worth appreciation...For instance, an original and well presented concept is family and peer pressure which affects all of us notwithstanding if we come from a middle class Indian family or a filthy rich American or British family..(Think Darcy's Mom having serious apprehensions about her son Darcy falling in love with an Indian girl who does not belong to a rich and famous family)

Thats all with my 2 cents on Bride & Prejudice..

p.s. Deepak :: U must see the British versions of Jane Austen's novels...Sense & Sensibility with Hugh Grant & Emma Thompson and Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth are absolutely beautiful movies....Austen was really not as bad as u think of her...Maybe it was your boring professor after all...Things would have been different if your literature teacher in your teen years were perhaps a youthful and inspiring woman :)

4 comments:

Deepak Jeswal said...

DEEPAK JESWAL HERE:

A Big Hello! and a BIGGER Thanks for visiting.

And the Biggest one to write a post based on my review; that is indeed very stimulating and encouraging...

As regards your views, yes, I completely agree with you on the commercial side of it a Gurinder Chaddha does help if she can manage the big bucks for India...but sadly, I do not think it will really happen, for the film has been panned even by the foreign critics (for other reasons than what I had mentioned in my post!)

In an ideal situation, I would love it if films like Lagaan ( a brilliant example of how a wafer-thin story line can be converted into a three hour rivetting cinema just thru an engrossing script) get the money and attention on Bollywood.

As regards family and peer pressures, I am confident that there are much better ways of showing all that than what Madame Chaddha has used.

Chetan Bhagat (on his blog) writes that he was rejected by myriad publishers because it did not hv the words 'raj' 'saheb' etc in his novel...i fear, after BandP, even the moneybags producers of Hollywood and UK might just want the cobra dance and snake charmers back in Hindi movies as well!

Anyways, again, to quote CB, the film is officially wiped out, from theaters and the news...so lets move on....

Will try to read Jane Austen again now...


(Oh...ur comments does not allow "anonymous posting" so had to make a profile of mine of blogspot ... (they asked for their own url...but i am keeping the rediff one only)

And do be a regular at my blog.....see ya...(am linking u up, to make it easier to come here!)

Regards
Deepak

Anonymous said...

After a weekend of watching 2 why-did-anyone-bother-to-make-this movies...I read Ur blog. Thanks for reminding about Jane Austen. I own all her books and my favourite is 'Emma'. Did U know that, in the first printing of Sense and Sensibilities, the spelling mistake in the Title was preserved, as a sign of respect to the young writer.
visit me at vidhur.rediffblogs.com
Vidya

Deepak Jeswal said...

Hello there.....

how r u?

wanna see what i hv done now....i hv tried to attempt my own Mughal-E-Azam of short stories....just visit my blog and read MEERA..an epic tale of love, deceit and valor....

Opasna said...

Hey,

Thanks to all of you for visiting my blog..Unfortunately while I try to be good about posting I really run low on time and energy in the beginning of a week...