Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Fear Factor

Fear Factor is a tremendously famour show on NBC where teams compete to win a large sum of money. The competitive task can be just about anthing from running up a hill to eating the guts or shit of an animal. Thats just disgusting. Yeah it is! Recently, I saw Fear Factor host and standup comedian Joe Rogan perform at the San Jose Improv in downtown San Jose. Boy was he good or what! His first joke was: " The only reason I agreed to host Fear Factor was that I thought it would never run more than a few weeks...Who would've thought we would find so many stupid people who were willing to eat God knows what for some money...And here I am hosting the Nth season of Fear Factor and encouraging dumb contestants"

Personally, I have a lot of appreciation for courageous people who fight their fears! Just as well people in general are God or Nature fearing and get shit scared especially of lawyers, police officers and doctors. For instance, any time a doctor recommends a biopsy for someone we know whistles start blowing in our heads. People are scared to their wit's end for no apparent reason. Yes there is reason to be worried if you get a warning call from a cop or if the doctor recommends an MRI but the worry should be focused on grasping what has the triggered those actions and on how to best tackle all future scenarios. This is what I call positive or useful stress that leads you to take some action and intiative. Then there is the other worry which is purely negative and has no value or purpose. It is just an amalgamation of ambigious statements, half-baked theories and ignorance. I for one have known one too many people in my life who self-inflict themselves with this negatiev form of mental stress at every juncture in their lives. To me its annoying, to some its a way of life....

No comments: