Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Fiction Writing Assignment 3: Conflicts in a short story

Teachers without Borders 3

Tonight it was Sheena’s turn to pick a restaurant for Foodie Fridays; Tim and Sister Rosa had assigned a code name to their weekly dinner together. Food was important to both of them. Most Fridays, they went to one their favorite Asian restaurants and enjoyed food over school politics. Sheena wanted things to be different today; she planned to seek advice on her foundation idea from both her comrades. So she chose an upscale Italian restaurant with spotty service and large booths.

They arrived separately. Sister Rosa and Tim were a little amused as they walked to their cozy dark leather booth. This was totally not their usual hangout place. “Wonder what is going on in Sheena’s crazy mind!” exclaimed Tim.

“I smell some news, may be she found someone” said Sister Rosa.

Tim pondered for a second - “Nah, I would know. She can’t hide anything on that face of hers. We shall see.

With this fancy place, I bet its good news!”

Sheena walked in 10 minutes late grinning, her arm loaded with her huge jute handbag swung like a pendulum. She took a spot opposite Tim, piled her things next to Sister Rosa and immediately belted out “I have something to tell you guys. But what do you think about this place, it’s nice huh.”

The server came by Sheena’s side and politely asked – “Have you all had a chance to look at the menu? I will be happy to talk about our specials or any of our dishes.”

Tim chuckled.

Sister Rosa abruptly said “I think we will need 5 minutes or more to decide.”

The server shrugged “What would you like to drink?”

Sheena pitched in “Water with ice for all please. Can I also see the wine menu?”

Once they were alone in the booth, Sister Rosa nudged Sheena’s arm and motioned her hand and face questioningly. Tim had his right elbow on the table, face resting on his palm and his gaze fixed on Sheena. Sensing they were both ready to be shocked Sheena let it out “I have been exploring new opportunities in the educational non-profit arena and I think I might have found my next thing – this foundation called Skill, which is opening a new school a month in African countries. They want me to try something in Congo.”

The server was back with three glasses of chilled water and a wine list. His keen judgment told him there was a serious discussion ongoing and he left them as fast as he had intruded.

Lowering her tone Sheena said earnestly - “I really want your honest opinions both as friends and academics.”

Sister Rosa’s face was snow white, as if blood had disappeared from her veins. She was plainly in shock and could not bring herself to say anything.

Tim said “Sheena this is great! I always knew you were thinking bigger and deeper but this is fantastic. I think you will be very effective in building new programs and spawning new schools. I have to say Mt Mary’s High School will miss your spirit dearly. Your students might be a little distracted for a few months, but I can read them your inspirational African letters.”

Sister Rosa fiddled with her knife and fork; she seemed to be looking for a dark spot or a half moon in her beautiful plate. Just then the server was back to take their order. Suddenly Sheena wasn’t sure if dinner at this cost was such a good idea.

Alternate link: http://fictionwritingclass.blogspot.com/2007/07/conflict.html

No comments: