Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Fiction Writing Assignment 4: Dialogues in a short story

Teachers without Borders 4

Tim felt weary with pain in his chest as he got out of bed. He took the liberty of a long shower to release his blues. I have one last chance to tell her, Tim thought as he felt the hot water bring his body to life. After ages, he took the time to get dressed yet ended up arriving early at Sheena’s doorstep.

“Aloha!” Tim watched Sheena with awe as she opened the door smiling.

“Hi Sunshine. You ready?” he responded cheerfully.

“Um, how should we do this – take my luggage or grab lunch and come back for it?” she said.

He was keenly admiring her cherubic face, natural brown hair, beady earrings, peppy clothes and her mood, which always a part of her appearance. Does she ever catch me glancing, Tim wished she did.

“We have plenty of time, lets chow first; we’ll come back for your stuff,” he managed to say. Maybe we won’t need to come back, he thought to himself

“You pick,” she said.

“Hey, I am not the one going to Africa! Pick the fanciest place you love in town; it’s on me,” he said smiling.

He saw her sense his feelings. Was she taken aback? They had been coworkers and friends for a little over 6 months now. Did she think he was taking a blow as she left the continent?

“Oh dear, what’ve I done? Has the most confident and cool teacher I know turned in to an emotional friend for one day?” she quipped.

Friend, the word rang in his ears. I have to tell her before we head to the airport so she has time to consider.

Tim opened the car door for Sheena bowing gracefully as if he were a butler. “Guilty as charged!” he said.

In the car, a soothing James Blunt CD was playing. Tim was taking in large puffs of air to feel stronger. It’s now or never; if I let her go…

He stole a couple of fleeting peeks at Sheena; she was fiddling with her right earring looking away from him.

…she will never know! She is probably nervous about her trip and the enormity of change in her life.

He didn’t know that Sheena was at war on the inside at that moment.

“What will he say or think if I tell him I am crazily in love – with him?” she deliberated. She flinched as she ripped off her index nail. He’ll act aloof. Probably laugh if I told him that I fell for him on day one.

They were both quiet in the car.

“You know pal, I will really miss you,” Tim said awkwardly breaking the silence game.

“So where are we finally going?” she asked, completely missing what Tim just said.

Tim didn’t answer and fiddled with the radio. Kelly Clarkson was singing in a high pitch. Since you been gone….

No comments: