Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

BlogShares :: Trading blogs in a fictional stock market!

Okay so this is frivolous, hilarious and also interesting!

It so began...I was looking at the statistics for my blogsite to understand who was gracing my blog with their presence. Amongst the referrer path links I found a couple for BlogShares. Obviously, I went to checkout this website..Lo and behold what do I find! Its a site for fictional trading of blogs....

Herz what their website says about them:

"BlogShares is a simulated, fantasy stock market for weblogs where players invest fictional money to buy stocks and bonds in an artificial economy where attention is the commodity and weblogs are the companies. Weblogs, or blogs for short, are valued by their incoming links from other known blogs. In effect, links become the business deals in the simulation and players speculate on the fortunes of thousands of blogs by buying and selling shares. A whole host of options exist for advanced play including gifting shares, leveraged buy-outs, stock splits, additional share issues, market and player bonds. Anyone can play BlogShares for free, and ownership of a blog is not a requirement to participate."

Its a damn good idea! Again based on the tenets of the now very common Page-Rank algorithm first developed by Larry Page of Google fame. So pretty much my blog is going to be a low value stock forever I guess; as the number of incoming links to my blog are negligible. I will need to get hooked into this fictional blog trading business for a bit just to get a flavor..hmm..Time is a constraint..Will surely come back to BlogShares later this summer to try my luck as a very talented equity analyst...ha ha...Very interesting though...

Where do people get these ideas ? (light bulb) Me thinks need to get good sleep and great ideas will visit me in my dreams!

No comments: