Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Cooking for Engineers!!

Cooking for Engineers - This website should be a source of inspiration to many of my male and female engineer friends who find cooking very difficult, which I believe is far from the truth. Cooking is easy and like any other activity or sport you have to put in some initial effort until you get the hang of it. Once that happens cooking good food becomes a fun and exciting opportunity that you start enjoying.

Unfortunately, so far I have been able to convert very few of my so called busy friends (either busy with work or studies) from their hopeless dinners consisting of junk food, frozen food or delivered food to fresh and delicious homemade food. Some of them are so lazy that to get them to the brink of purchasing, cutting and cooking vegetables is impossible. Others are so uncaring for their tastebuds that it hardly matters to them what food is available or offered to them. Being a food enthusiast, I pity such people whose standard of good food is so low that I wouldn't even venture to eat at their place. Sometimes, I fail to understand how people are unable to distinguish between bad, good and excellent food. For me its easy and natural to be able to pinpoint any condiment/spice that is missing or more/less than desired in a a delicacy.

Well, by now you might be thinking that I am a great connoisseur of food and must have learnt cooking at an early age. In reality, by age 16 I could just barely prepare tea, coffee and eggs; that was my limit. Thereafter, during my undergrad education, I had the good fortune of getting tasty and well cooked Punjabi (North Indian) food daily at the dining hall, also called a 'mess' in India. So finally I ended up developing my culinary skills through my experiments with ingredients during the very busy last 2 years of my graduate student life, mostly on my own but yes with some help from Mom and Sis over the phone and ah yes also some recipe websites.

Today in all modesty, I think I am a good cook with just 2 years of experience (full of cooking accidents and anecdotes) and am actively engaged in encouraging my friends to start their own cooking experiments. I hope that the example of the owner of this website- Cooking for Engineers and my personal example are motivating enough for some of my friends to test their hands at cooking.

Hey if a lazy person like me can do it, so can u guys!

1 comment:

Opasna said...

Okay now that its proven that eating oranges, bananas, turmeric and other curry spices prevent leukaemia and other diseases all the more reason to start cooking some Indian curry!

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996384