Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Whats in a name?

Note: All names mentioned are Indian names. Their meaning is given in brackets.

Well me thinks, name does matter. It somehow defines you and your persona. Okay not in many cases. For instance, a guy named Sushil (well-behaved) might not really be so. But its my illogical belief that your names does contribute towards your personality and it definitely impacts how the world sees you. Don't believe me! Ok what if your name was Sajni (beloved) or Rani (Queen, Princess) or Devi (goddess)...Wouldn't it impact you? Definitely it would! You would be teased through your "Wonder Years" endlessly and you might even consider why your parents couldn't think of a more appropriate and imaginative name....

Huh..why this senseless banter? I was about to tuck in very early tonight given that last night and the whole day today I did more work than the last 1 week combined plus I was sleep deprived and bored to do anything but rest and relax. Something came up more so someone...A dear friend Sujit pinging from India on the beloved Yahoo! Messenger....His major problem...He has a new born well almost 2 month old niece...The D-day is coming up when they have to give her a name and Sujit seems to think they haven't found a good classy name for her so far!! Talk about problems in life :D...

Sujit's is a family of Ss...my friend Sujit, his brother Sanjeev, their parents also have names starting with a S and Sanjeev's wife is Priti....Ah ha...some hope for some change in family naming nomenclature.....While I was immensely tired to do anything else, even fix myself dinner..for this...name hunt.. I had a new energy and spirit... 'Coz after all time is running out and Sujit and I both believe there is lot thats in a name!

After endless online searches and brain scratching we have a list, rather he has a list:

Arshia (heavenly) -- his top choice, unique and refreshing

Supriti (true love) -- I suggested this. My top choice, 2 reasons:
1. Sanjeev + Priti = Supriti (The child will feel special that she is a result of her parents true love) 2. Quite uncommon and different. We have heard of a lot of Supriyas but not Supritis...
Major drawback: yes again a S name

Priyanshi (meaning unknown) -- I suggested this. I know Priyanshu = First ray of sunlight, so we can safely assume that Priyanshi would mean something similar unless Ansh means 'part' in which case it would mean "beloved parts". I like this name because first it gets rid of the S family and starts with a P following her Mom's name. Secondly, the name is unique, has a beautiful meaning and yes also 'coz I like Priyanshu Chatterjee, a Bollywood actor

Shirin (sweet) -- my niece's name, nah...too simple not different

Eshana (search) -- never heard of it...hence, unique...nah..people will think inspired from Esha Deol, another Bollywood actress

Dayita (beloved) -- Its on his list..I am like, please no..People will tease her Day Night

Shreya (better) -- Sujit, why is this on your list... too common..

Priya Darshini (Beautiful. Lovely.) -- This is not on his list but I like this name. Its gentle and elegeant

Hours and hours of painstaking efforts will be put in by all concerned for the baby...Some might think its too trivial a thing to waste time on, others like me will continue to disagree...

Coming from a family of Us, mom Usha, sister Uttama and myself Upasana (my Dad's name is equally unique and cool) I am ever so thankful to Mom for giving us such unique and meaningful names, especially since I am told my name on the birth certificate was Reema which was later changed on my Mom's whim to Upasana....

Point proven! Whims about names are very useful and should be encouraged...I can't even imagine being called Reema...Phew!...

Who said whats in a name?

11 comments:

Priyendra said...

My sister's named Priyanshi and I think the ansh there stands for part. :-)

Opasna said...

So what does Priyanshi really mean then?

Anonymous said...

Ashtrix said....

Most names on your list sound good. I think .. given the scenario Supriti is a very very good name. Personally the "current favourites" always bore me. I agree with you the name is very important ... and has to be slightly unique.

Opasna said...

2 more added to the list:

Nilakshi (One with blue eyes)
Manzima (meaning to verify)

QuaTros said...

Ahem, I wonder how we Indians began putting names with meanings in the first case! Well..its definitely better than some of the really hilarious English names, say like 'Rob Cody'(Cody is to be robbed? ) or Clein Dick( now what is that :-D ) or worse to have a second name like 'Bullock'!

Opasna said...

Hi Quatros,

Quite right! What is with American names !
Thanx for stopping bye..

Anonymous said...

shreya means the one who deserves credit.
i personally think the meaning sucks, but the name itself is quite nice (takes getting used to though).. and i had no idea the name was quite common. i've heard of just two other shreya's myself.
--shreya

p.s. i like arshia best out of that list

Opasna said...

Shweta now I am confused :D

Your name in kundali means its your horoscope name or are you are a star in the Hindi drama serial "Kundali"...I thought u were studying at IITK....Acting and studying at the same time doesnt seem very probable but I might as well ask this!!

Opasna said...

Thanks to all you people...This naming thing is very important I guess...I haven't had as many people comment on any post as this one...

Thanks again :D

Meanwhile, I have forwarded the link to this post to my friend Sujit and I am waiting with baited breath for what they finally named the little girl !

Anonymous said...

'Rhea' is also a cute name!

Opasna said...

So they finally ended up calling her Tvisha which is a Sanskrit name that means bright!