Aloha People!

Edwin Schlossberg said - "The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think". My aim here is to do exactly that: create a corner in the online world that forces one to re-think and question ideas that are treated as a given.

To provide me feedback on a particular posting or just to contact me, write a comment!

Mission Impossible Accomplished

Occasion: Me visiting the US Immigration Services to enquire about missing Employment Authorization documents.

Mission: Get relevant case status information with hope to receive interim employment authorization at the end of 90 day wait period. The D day is next week!

What really happenned??

I was ontime @ 1:45 dot (ya that was a surprise even to me!). Very rough and tough security check, they made me throw away my everdear bottle of water in the trash.

@ 2 comfortably seated for number to be called out.
@ 2:30 still seated, a bit restless
@ 2:45 looking around and very restless..After all the appointment was for 1:45..Cursing in Hindi - the people who came after me and were called before me, the people who forgot something and were called back and the officers who were chatting.
@ 3:00 very bored started reading my novel again...looking up everytime a new number is called out
@ 3:07 Number F112 please come to window number 10...Viola the moment has come, finally!!
@ 3:15 Explained situation to officer. Her solution. Don't worry about missing application. When did you apply? June Ma'am. Almost 3 months. Come lemme give you an interim EAD. Ma'am today? Yes right now. Okay great, but is that legal its still not 90 days plus my graduation date is 2 weeks from now. Yeah its fine. Go to cashier. Come back once you are done at the cashier window. Okkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.
@ 3:20 sitting comfortably on a chair waiting for cashier to call me...pondering which date to start working? what other issues to be resolved before i can start a new life....nostalgic feelings erupt when thinking about leaving the school....
@ 3:25 cashier lady takes paperwork
@ 3:45 reading the novel when again F112 announced..this time window number 7. Yes the time is coming! Window 7 is the explicit photograph window...2 pictures taken, 1 fingerprint and there it is...a laminated work permit....I am like Ma'am this is it??! My work is done? She is like yes. Thats it. You can go. But Ma'am this is for 8 months...Yes yes its interim. The 12 month EAD will come in due course of time to your address. But Ma'am its missing as per online status. Okay go back and sit and talk to window 10 lady again..Okay thanks
@ 4:15 Ma'am..thanks so much for this but what about my original application...the missing status..what do i do to get my 12 month EAD? Take this sheet..Call at this number...give them your new address and interim EAD number...they will send it..Good Luck and Bye! Sure Ma'am..Thats it....Yes..You may go now...
@ 4:30 I was here 3 hours (w/o any water or beverage..this is cruel man!) ..Oh my gawd! But hey, I got the work permit...Eureka Eureka..Isn't it funny, sometimes the frustrations of the moment so overpower your mind and body that even when an unexpected yet good result comes out it just doesn't feel like it!

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE:: Get WORK PERMIT Before 23rd or 30th Sep
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!

MI-2 :: Wrap up the million things at SLAC and Stanford and head to the beach city San Diego!

No comments: